Zealous Advocacy. Comprehensive Solutions. Effective Guidance.

Answers To Your Frequently Asked Questions

Having an attorney who understands the law is crucial. For over two decades, Watson Dalton LLC has worked with clients throughout Massachusetts. Our team will sit down with you one-on-one in order to address your concerns and understand your goals.

Below is a list of frequently asked questions for your convenience. After reading through the answers, it is best that you call our office in Boston at 978-346-5302 to schedule a consultation. You can also email us.

Estate Planning Questions And Answers

What happens if someone dies without an estate plan or a will?

The state decides how your assets will be distributed. Some of your assets may go to paying off your debts, and if anything is left, your spouse or children may inherit it.

Do I need a living will if I have a do-not-resuscitate order?

In Massachusetts, a do-not-resuscitate order and a living will are two different things. A living will appoints a health care agent to make decisions about your health if you are no longer able to make those decisions. A do-not-resuscitate order is an agreement between you and a health care professional that states you do not want to be resuscitated in a medical emergency. A living will can encompass more decisions than a do-not-resuscitate order, given that it can be part of a larger estate plan.

Divorce And Family Law Questions And Answers

What’s the difference between collaborative law and mediation?

In mediation, both you and your former spouse will work with a single mediator to determine the details of your relationship going forward. In collaborative law, you and your former spouse will each be represented by your own collaborative law attorney and together, the four of you will meet to discuss the situation going forward. Both collaborative law and mediation can help you save money and stay out of the courtroom during divorce proceedings.

How can I get sole custody of my child?

The court will do what’s in the best interest of the child. Most of the time, this means that both parents will be equally involved in a child’s life. However, if one parent displays troubling signs of abuse or drug usage, or they are unable to care for the child due to their lifestyle (if they are homeless, for example), one parent may be given primary custody and the other parent may be granted visitation. However, in order for one parent NOT to receive some amount of custody, there has to be solid evidence that the unfit parent is truly unfit to parent their child.